Most wedding planners and venue coordinators will tell you that, for numerous reasons, it's best to hire a professional just as you would for your photos, catering, etc. However, a friend or relative can be an attractive alternative to a professional and when done correctly can provide great results. For years, I have offered a service that brings my professional expertise to this option to make the process as smooth and stress-free as possible. This is how it works:
1) I craft the ceremony with you just as I would normally do if I were officiating. Often, ceremonies presented by friends sound more like a reception speech instead of a marriage ceremony. To prevent this, we together design your ceremony with the content that you want it to include.
2) I step your friend or relative through becoming registered to legally perform your ceremony and I instruct them on the proper handling and completion of the marriage license
3) I provide the finished script to your person complete with notes on ceremony flow. This is very structured and keeps presenters from going off script, talking too much, or trying to be too funny. (Steps 3 and 4 are the primary means of offsetting the typical problems associated with having a non-professional perform your ceremony)
4) I personally coach them on how to present the ceremony. This is done one-on-one by video chat at times of their choosing. This builds their confidence, lowers your stress, and assures both parties that things will go well.
5) I also include a printed guide to help them or someone of your choice direct your rehearsal.
I provide this service for $125 and it will ensure that your ceremony provides the level of romance and intimacy that you desire. Request that I contact you to take the next step.